Monday, April 4, 2011

Emotions

God made both tears and laughter, and both for kind purposes; for as laughter enables mirth and surprise to breathe freely, so tears enable sorrow to vent itself patiently. Tears hinder sorrow from becoming despair and madness. --Leigh Hunt

This is a favorite quote of mine. Another favorite is taken from the movie "Steel Magnolias" when the character played by Dolly Parton expresses "laughter through tears is one of my favorite emotions." Lately however, there seems to have been more tears at the Simpson home. A few weeks ago Cindy received the news that the cancer in her brain was no longer responding to the treatment. The cancer growth is aggressive. I had the honor of visiting her the day she received the news. There were many tears shed but somehow in spite of all the doom and gloom that our human minds turn to, Cindy's incredible smile, sense of humor and love of life burst forth. Over the past few weeks she has been able to visit with dear, lifelong friends, continues to have neighbors and ward members bring service and love into her home, and has the unremitting care from her kids and the tender devotion of Floyd. (I think everyone should have a "Floyd" in their life!!! Of course he feels the same about Cindy! True love!)

While she has currently lost the ability to communicate with others through speech, her eyes and smile and yes even a few stern looks of determination do the job quite well. Her worries are not for herself, but rather for others.

"What dorm will Ben apply to live in at school?" "Floyd don't hurt yourself." "Arielle needs to go shopping for the Miss Utah contest." "There is much to do before Josh graduates from the Academy.", "I wonder how Sierra is doing today!" "I need to go help Mom, while Dad has his treatments." "It is time to make band bread, again".

In the years I have known Cindy I cannot recall her ever saying the word "me" and never a "poor me" or "why me". I thought of her while listening to General Conference yesterday. Brother Bednar commented on the song the choir was to sing just after his speech "Have I Done Any Good". As the choir sang each verse I made a mental check list, "have I cheered up the sad" yup Cindy has done that, "made someone feel glad?" yup, that one too! "if they needed my help was I there?" always! With this in mind I have determined to follow her example. Those of you who might read this blog can count yourselves among the lucky folk who know and call Cindy friend.

Visits are welcomed but it is asked that you please call first before stopping by and if you do visit, it is asked that you make it short and remember two way conversations, right now are hard, so be cautious in asking too many questions. And dreaded looks of pity are not welcomed!

Now Cindy would not want this to be a "sad" post because she is not a "sad" person. She downright loves life! She loves her kids! Loves her friends! Loves Floyd! And perhaps most of all, loves the Lord. She trusts in Him. While we don't know what the future will bring we do know this. We also know that Cindy will continue to live her life with joy and has the desire to serve. Like a great wizard she waves her smile as if it were a wand and leaves a trail of joy. With the help of neighbors, aka friends, she continues to have bread for the band on Thursday. Just this past Thursday I was driving back into the neighborhood as a train of cars was leaving. Each car was filled with "band kids", all smiling and laughing seeming to enjoy life having just come from the Simpson home. Now that is magic!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Libby for not only keeping us posted but for expressing what we all feel about Cindy and her family. They are loved beyond words, but yours come close!
    Simpsons - we cherish you!
    Love and happy thoughts and prayers!
    Cori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, beautifully written Libby. Thanks for updating the blog.

    We are all a little better for knowing and being loved by the Simpson family. Our prayers continue for each of you. You are loved beyond measure.

    Lisa Rosser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Libby. I do not know you but thank you for this beautiful blog. I grew up with cindy's children in california and often wonder how she is doing. Cindy is a beautiful women and taught me much about smiling. Did you know she smiles in her sleep (that is a truly remarkable smile). Please let her and her family know I said Hello and I love them. Their family really has meant a great deal to me.
    Tiffany McClellan Gunnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw this post on FB. Cindy and Floyd are some of our oldest friends from when we were all young and first married. Cindy, I knew you were having some problems, didnt realize the extent. I just want you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you and Floyd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Libby. Beautiful words for a beautiful person.
    Cindy, Floyd and family...I want you to know how much I am thinking of you. I am still in San Diego with Ali and new sweet baby Chloe. Feeling very heart torn to not be home where I can visit my dear friend. I love you Cindy.
    From the "other" Cindy (Gardner)

    ReplyDelete